Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sick! Sick! Sick!

And say it in your high pitch, whiny, "I can't believe I'm still sick" voice.  That is how we ALL feel around these parts.  I thought that we were finally feeling better last Friday, then Gabby started to get sick.  She had a fever for 5 days straight.  We even took her to the ER to see what was wrong. One of the nights she woke up screaming.  I ran in there and she was shaking and burning up.  Her temp was 106.2!  I yelled for Adam and immediately we put her in the bath.  She just shook and shook.  Finally we got it down to 104.7 and I called the ER that we just came home from and they said not to worry about it.  Really?  Come on.

We gave her more meds and I cuddled with her.  By 3am (all started at about 11pm.) her fever had FINALLY broken and she could sleep.  WHAT A NIGHT.  The next day we took her to the doctors and all checked out to be good.  She just had that cold/flu that is going around.  Yuck.

Ethan then started it up.  NOOOOOO!  But no worries, he just has a cold with no fever.  I'll take that.  Then on Wednesday I started feeling sick. NOOOOOO!  Moms should not have to get sick.  Really.  But I did.  This time I couldn't do it on my own.

Look.  Adam is around.  But he isn't.  His job is to study and become the best PT he can be.  It is a PhD.  He will be a doctor.  It is intense and I know many of you understand that.  So when he comes home he isn't 'home'. He plays with us, eats with us, but he is locked in his room studying.  He is exhausted from it.  But it is what we signed up to do for the next 3 years.  If I absolutely needed him he would stop studying and do whatever I needed him to do.  He loves me and his family like that.

So, when he comes home, it isn't like I can hand the kids over and get some rest.  I am on from 6am to 7:30 at night until they are in bed.  And the I can't wait for the weekend because he studies ALL day Saturday and then Sunday he has church callings to tend to.  I couldn't do it this time just me- so I called my good friend Lindsay to see if she could take Gabby for the morning while I went to the store.  When she showed up she did SO much more than that.  She offered to take Ethan- and to take them for the day!!! Say what?  I started crying.  (Embarrassing)  But true.  It was too good to be true.  I quickly grabbed their items and sent them off.

I hurried to the store- people must have thought that I was drugged or something.  I had my hoodie on and I kept squinting my eyes and walking very slowly so my headache wouldn't get worse.  I then came home, unloaded it all- showered WITHOUT kids around!!!! Then went to bed and slept and slept until our NOISY neighbors woke me up with their 'parade' that I am sure they were having!  Rude.  I ate, put a movie on and worked on my sewing project.  Heaven.

The kids came home- we played and then another good friend, Melanie, brought over some dinner.  Yum.  How grateful I am for friends willing to do what was not asked- but did it anyway.  I can't tell you what a difference it made from the week prior.  Now we just need to get rid of this sickness.... blah.

Thank you to all who helped this week.  Teddie who called concerned and just listened.  Kelly who brought dinner over and popcicles for Gabby and also just listened to a worried mom and to Stefanie who watched Gabby for a few hours so she could do something more than nothing at our house.  Thank you Lindsay and Melanie for going beyond the call of duty.  Thanks for just knowing.

Now I need to get better and make sure that no one else gets sick.  Here's to a new week NOT with sickness.  I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment