Monday, September 3, 2012

Plimouth- Pilgrims and all

We FINALLY were able to go to Plimouth.  It was so fantastic.  We ended up waiting until the last Friday of the month because it was free to all.  Which is great because it costs $30 a person to get in.  Not worth it when we are short on funds already, so it was nice that we found out that it was free day a year and that we didn't miss it. I enjoyed how the characters throughout the village and in the tribal area were in character and acted the part.  We tried to get them out of character, but it didn't work.  We asked questions like, "What is the local gossip?" They responded with, "Well, gossip is a sin around these parts and we don't take part in it."  Nuts. Although how fantastic it would be if we all had the guts to say that?  Gabby enjoyed it.  She had fun running around and meeting the locals.  It turned out being such a good day. Love those days.



 Adam and Gabby explored while I fed Ethan.  They checked out the fort that looked over the village and tried to spit on me below... ok not really.  But they had fun talking to me while I was feeding the young one.







 This is one of the homes from behind.  I love the window.  For some reason it made me so happy.  Also the roof.  They are made out of dried cat tails- why?  Because on Sense and Sensibility they have a scene where they are cutting them and I never knew why until we were talking to one of the ladies here who told us that it takes about 2 acres to cover one roof.  So fun. I love knowledge.

 Gabby looking at a pig in the backyard and then one of the ladies in the town.  She was so fun.  I loved how she talked and she was very friendly to let us into her home.






 Gabby insisted on carrying that stick from place to place.  I guess she wanted to fit in with the locals.






She was able to feed a goat, which she of course loved.

 Here Gabby is eating a homemade pickle.  A family sat next to us while we eating our lunch and gave Gabby some of their pickles.  They were really a neat family.  I wish that I knew what religion they were because they sang their prayer, which I thought was neat.  The woman also told me that liver would be good for Gabby to eat.  She has put it into cookies, pies, ground it up to put on crackers and next she wanted to put it in ice cream.  I'll just let the lady experiment and take her word for it. Liver is just not my thing. Good to know that others like it though.

 This man was funny.  I enjoyed listening to him.  Then you have Gabby playing with the flour on the table.  She thought that it was lotion of some sort because she kept putting it on her hands and rubbing it in.  Maybe she knew something that we didn't-


We tried to ask these girls questions, but they weren't too friendly.  I didn't know if that was them being in character or them just being teenagers.

 So look closely, but not too close for this young is not wearing anything under that loin clothe- he is one brave soul. 







 The first church in Plimouth- Beautiful.  Then we were able to go through the cemetery.  It was neat to see all those old grave sites.


 Died in 1682 and then below in 1681





 Gabby kept folding her arms throughout the cemetery.  It was so cute.  I am sure she is getting use to walking through the cemeteries since that is always on our list to do in each of the spots we go to.

Gabby enjoyed talking to this guy.  His name is James Warren.  It sounded like they had a good conversation.

1 comment:

  1. So fun! I love all the adventures you guys have been on!! Gabby has sure grown up! I showed Trae her pic and asked if he remembered his friend...he said, "sure, mom". Not sure how committed that answer was but pretty sure a playdate is in store. Hopefully well be able to do a trip up the coast to come visit :)

    ReplyDelete