Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Family Heroes

There is always some story of strength and excitement whenever we get together...  this one is a little more over the top.

First, let me tell you about where we were staying.  It was a cabin in Mack's Inn located close to the main entrance road and set up on a hill.  Below the house was the street and then buildings which housed the propane and other worker trucks to take care of the resort.

As you saw in the earlier post, we got a 2 seater 4-wheeler. (I don't know what else to call it) We were all taking turns driving it.  As soon as it was parked, another group would go out.

Well, one group got home and the driver ran inside to grab a passenger who wanted to go out riding.  The rest of us were doing various things, but manly inside getting lunch ready and playing.  I had noticed that someone took the gate down from the front door that led out to a balcony and stairs.  So, naturally I wanted it up to keep Ethan from crawling out.

I walked over and was getting the gate ready to put back up when I notice that the 4-wheeler was heading down the hill without a driver.  I then saw the head of my 4 year old nephew in the passenger seat.  I threw the gate and yelled, "Ah, go, Trey, Hill!!!"  It was more of a scream mixed with a panic voice.  It got everyone on their feet.

I ran down the stairs, jumping down them really. I then jumped off the balcony and started running down the hill, where my 14 year old nephew came running down along side me.  But not for long.  As the 4-wheeler went further down the hill, it picked up momentum and started getting faster.

I knew that I wasn't going to catch up to it.  Please know that this all happened super duper fast.  My older nephew knew what to do.  He quickly caught up with the 4-wheeler and knowing that it was about to crash in the building below, told the younger nephew, "Hold on, you are going to crash, it is going to be ok."  He then continued running next to the 4-wheeler until it crashed into the building.

My heart of racing so fast.  From both running and fear.  I caught up to the 4-wheeler and my nephews and pulled the 4 year old out.  I tried not to cry as he was already crying then slowly took him to his parents who were now close to the road after running down the hill realizing what had happened.

It was amazing to see the response of all of us.  They knew something was wrong and since I wasn't really clear on what was wrong, they were all fast to respond.

My older nephew was a true hero that day.  Although he didn't stop the 4-wheeler from crashing, he knew to stay calm and to make sure that the 4 year old knew to hold on and it was going to be ok.  Thank goodness he did.  It could have ended pretty badly.

Lesson learned:  Work out more, you never know when you might have to run to save a life.  Also, family team work and listening works!!!

 I tried to show the angle of the hill.  This is from the balcony.  It was more intense than it looks.  
 Where it hit.  Yes, it was one of those, if he would have been just slightly over he would have hit the wood, or the truck or the pole.  It was a blessing that he hit where he did and that he didn't get hurt.


From the spot of the accident looking upward toward the cabin

No comments:

Post a Comment