Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Called to Serve

I wanted to take a moment and just talk about missionaries.  Missionary work.  And serving the Lord.

My mom came from a home where her mom was a convert and tried her very best to live it without support of family and marriages that came before my grandpa.

My dad came from a strong Christian faith, but joined the church when he turned 20.

He married my mom shortly after and then shortly after that they started having kids.  It was go time from the start.  I really don't know how they did it.  It was new for both of them.  It was discovering what would work and what wouldn't work.  Their ultimate goal: To get us back to our Father in Heaven's kingdom faithfully.

Everything they did lined up to that purpose.  Us being obedient.  Us understanding agency.  Us being righteous and gaining testimonies.  I know people feel that my parents somehow forced religion on us, but not the case.  They taught us righteous principles and then let us govern ourselves.  But do understand that consequences still followed.  Whether good or bad, there were consequences.

Nothing was perfect about it.  But we knew that my parents had a testimony of God, of Jesus Christ and of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints being the only true church on the earth today.  We also knew that joy came from dedicating one self and serving our Father in Heaven.

Josh:
When my brother turned 18 he decided that he wanted to serve a mission.  He was called to served in Salt Lake City North Mission.  He served faithfully bringing many to Christ while paving the way for us who followed.

Me:
I had always wanted to serve a mission since I found out that girls could at the age of 9.  Meaning when I was 9 I found out that girls could serve and I set my heart on it.  When I approached the age of 21 I decided it was go.  I was called to serve in the Catania Italy Mission.

Rebekah:
When I got home, Becka was now the age to go.  She too decided that she wanted to serve.  She was called to serve in the Barcelona Spain Mission.  She served faithfully and helped many come closer to Christ.

Jake:
He went while I was still out on my mission.  He was called to serve in the Yerevan Armenia Mission.  He too served faithfully and managed his crazy language while bringing many to Christ.

Kate:
She was the last of us.  She was steady in school and making plans, but she too decided that she wanted to serve.  She was called to the Retalhuleu Guatemala Mission where she served faithfully bringing many to Christ and conquering the jungle and heat.

Each of us served the people we were called to serve with all diligence and faith that we had.  We gave our all for the service of God and His kingdom.  And we understand what it takes to do that.  There is unity that is created in that knowledge.  And great respect.

Having my sister come home was a celebration on many levels.  A celebration that she was now home with us and we could hear her laughter and have the happiness that she brings to our lives.  But also a celebration of us ALL serving and dedicating a year and a half to two years of service for our God and Savior.

It is a testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. That it has been restored to the earth again and that we do have prophets, revelation, the gift of the Holy Ghost, priesthood authority, and temples. (and so much more)

A testimony that God does live and that this life is for the purpose and preparation of returning back to Him.  That it is ONLY through the Atonement of Jesus Christ that this is made possible.

I am proud that I can say that all my siblings have served faithfully around the world bringing and publishing good tidings of joy and truth.  Just like the sons of Mosiah and Alma, I do not boast and do not speak as though I am prideful, but more so that I am pleased that our testimonies have touched nations.  That they continue to touch nations as we serve faithfully where we are at.

This is JOY.

We continue moving forward the work of the Lord.  I know these things to be true.  And I stand in awe at His mighty hand in bringing others to Him.  I hope and pray that I may continue to be an instrument in His hands to bring His children back home.

Called to Serve Him, Heavenly King of Glory.


Standing Tall- Together. 
(It is tradition to put flags of where we served in the front yard when someone leaves for a mission or returns... or for the world cup:) )

No comments:

Post a Comment