Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Oh Lexington to Concord- Battle Road

Ok, I was the one who wanted to venture over to Lexington and Concord to step into history where Revere road and where it started, the Revolution.  Well, I was imagining that it was set up like Boston.  Easy to walk, a lot to see, and an Italian shop where we could get another pastry.  Not the case with this trip. Oh no. This trip would be a 3 mile walk from Lexington to Concord and a 3 mile walk back in what I like to call- HUMIDITY with NO MERCY!

Amazingly the kids did great. It was hot, full of bugs, humidity, singing, sweating, and drinking water.  But now we have a better respect for the British who walked those grounds, and for the Minute Men who were willing to defend those grounds.

 Gabby is the Throw Up Queen!!! Adam and I have become pros at cleaning up what she has just lost and she has become a pro at being calm and cheerful while we get her all cleaned off.  So- it was no surprise that when we showed up to our destination, that we heard the noise and the splash that follows.  So gross. But as you see- she was ready to drive and get going right afterwards. And that is why I OVERLY prepared.  Our truck is the most organized prepared keeping that you will ever see and I am so proud it.

 Ethan loved this pack- first ride in it- and slept most of the hike. See how beautiful the scenery is? Love the color mixed with the dead

 Entering the trial- Battle Road- 3 miles didn't seem that long when we started.  It was cooler and we both felt great.  But half way through, it all changed.  Well the weather did- lovely

 This is where Revere was captured- neat. And of course Gabby is eating an apple.  She LOVES them-


 Isn't that the most precious set of stairs going up into the woods? Oh my- heaven. 

 Gabby and Adam having a sword fight with sticks.  Let the Battle begin- see even Gabby got into it.


 Running up to the first house.  Nothing amazing. Just a home- well now just land with a fireplace COVERED with bees along the road.

 I imagined that this tree was just a young sprout during the Revolution. Adam disagreed.  But it made the trail so "romantic" thinking that it was there when everything was going on.  Then you have Gabby.  Her chin is her Battle Wound- she fell while running and got all banged up. I'm telling you- she really got into it. Don't ask about the fish- she wanted me to take a picture of it because she wouldn't put it back until I took the shot. Cute.

 This home is where many of the Minute Men got together to discuss how they were going to fight. So "romantic", huh? Just picture perfect

 View of the trail ahead of us.




 I love butterflies and had to catch a picture of it- also LOVE this family photo. It was at the end of the 1st 3 miles- Lookin' good.

 This was where a British solider was buried and Gabby was out for the count on our way back.

 And so was Ethan

 Ok- so we are walking along, minding our business when a frog jumps in our path. I did the classic jump and scream- Adam laughed and then I took a picture. 



 Wild Turkeys? Yep- the "National" bird of America, right? And that would be Adam hungry enough to eat one. We should have taken one home- Wild Turkey dinner anyone? um- yes please


 Battle Green- where they fought

 Adam took his own pics because it was raining pretty hard ad I didn't want to take the kids out in it.
I know it went from crazy strong humidity to rain- what?



 Ok- so does this house look familiar? Think Little Women... YES!!! This is the house where Little Women was filmed at!! I about died. It was an unexpected treat- so delicious!




 The real Sleepy Hollow- So neat.  Didn't walk it, though, because of the rainstorm- so beautiful, and the rain made it feel so spooky- fun


Adam thought that this was from the Chronicles of Narnia where Azlan was sacrificed on.

No comments:

Post a Comment