Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Understanding

I wish people just understood the amount of effort it takes to send a husband through medical school.  I know... there are a few out there who would be reading that line and saying to themselves, "What?  Physical Therapy isn't med school."  Or, "What's there to understand?  Just get over it."  Really?  For the sake of my children understanding the sacrifice that took place in order to achieve the reality of being a Physical Therapist, this is what it took. I mean this is what it is taking.

LONG hours of study.  People OFTEN tell me to tell Adam to relax.  He is doing great and doesn't need to study that much.  I look at them and never say, "So what you're telling is, he shouldn't KNOW the human body and ALL the many ways that would help it improve.  He can just SLIP through his classes and hope that he only meets people with basic needs."  That might seem rude, but going back to the idea that it is a doctor program and he WILL be a doctor, study is essential and long hours of it are inevitable.

Adam typically goes to school 8-5, Monday through Friday.  He has a short lunch with us, then races back to school for some quick study.  He then comes home at 5, we eat.  He studies.  Then at 7 he comes out, we read scriptures, books, sing, say our prayers, and then the kids go to bed.  So, from 7:30-10, he studies more.  If there is a test, the nights are longer.  Or the mornings earlier.  On Saturdays he studies the WHOLE day with breaks for eating.  Then Sunday comes in which we "relax" from studies.  Sometimes even this day is filled with so much, that by 8 in the evening, we are just too exhausted for much else.  (I know people must think that we are antisocial, but if they only knew... sigh.  One day.  One day.)

He also has to go to clinical rotations where he follows a therapist and learns from their teaching.  This is once a week.  And normally 30+ min away.  Another LONG day.  He also has to do a thesis of some sort with a team of students and a professor.  This adds to more hours spent at school collecting data and "testing' it out of willing patients. 

We feel lucky with our once a week date night.  Yes, we do fit it in.  It normally is on Saturday around 8 and usually consists of board games, games, watching Psych, or just sleeping.  If he has a test on Monday, then we shoot for a late night on Friday to let him get in a full day of study on Saturday. 

And through all of this, I am on the sidelines taking care of the young ones, trying to be better and just being a good housewife. 

What I want people to know, is that this is EXHAUSTING for all parties involved.  We have been doing this schooling thing AS A COUPLE, for 5 years now and separately for 4+years (making the total about 10 years of schooling) and we are just plum tuckered out.  We breathe when we can, but we look forward to the breaks that this program does allow.

I get that others who have been through this program might have done it differently, but this is the best that we know how to do it with 2 kids.  We are diligently plugging along and getting things done.

Please know that I am not complaining.  Not by a LONG shot.  I am educating and offering a chance for some understanding.

Oh the financial part... ok.  I don't work.  I get A LOT of grief from others on this part.  They ask why I don't teach, or sub, or do something.  Well, my children are my life.  Their success, I feel, is dependent on me and my sacrifice to help them become the best that they can be.  We also have prayed about it and have found great strength and faith in knowing that we are doing just fine without me working.  I have found opportunities along the way to make some extra cash, but all together, working is just not going to happen.  Through the struggle of money, we have been able to gain more understanding and compassion.  We know that God is in the details.  "Consider the Lilies"  He takes care of us in ways that touch even the smallest detail.  As we have been obedient, and have strived to live our covenants faithfully, we have gained blessings that are much richer than what a job with money could bring.  And besides.... I would rather be poor now and be with my kids, then "rich" now and not be with them.  Money isn't everything.  But they are.

There.  That feels good. I guess I have had a lot of complaints from others lately and I just wanted to lay it out and just get it off my chest.  THIS IS NOT EASY... but OH HOW WE LOVE IT!!! Experience is EVERYTHING!!! For we are gaining knowledge and wisdom... yes.  Yes we are.  

LIVING THE DREAM
Physical Therapy

1 comment:

  1. I've seen your blog a few times, and I happened to read this post tonight. You are AWESOME and if only everyone who ever judges you could read your post!! You ARE doing the most important work ever (both of you!) and you are such an example by showing people it is possible, even though it's hard. :)

    ReplyDelete